This blog is an engineer’s perspective on sustainability, climate change and innovation in Australia and around the world.
I am interested in change – in our society, in our technologies, and in our environment. For me, 2008 is undeniably a year of dramatic change in all of these areas. My aim for this blog is to examine some of the forces that are driving these developments as well as the human processes – innovation and creativity – which enable them.
Here are some of the questions I will be pondering in this blog:
- How can innovation, sustainable development and peer production help to shape a future that will be dominated by climate change, energy scarcity and economic uncertainty?
- How do we reconcile the contradictions of growth and sustainability?
- How do we ensure that innovation works for the good of society?
- Can the wisdom of crowds overcome our collective stupidity?
- Can technology solve the problems that technology has created?
- Are we moving boldly towards a brighter future or hurtling towards calamity?
It is far beyond me to answer these questions definitively. Our world is full of paradoxes and they fascinate me, but I’m not a fan of simplistic answers. This blog is about exploring those paradoxes.
I hope you can join me.